Before you can utilize Bruin PAWS, you need to get prepared! Get your workstation, home/office gym, kitchen/fridge, and social environment ready to go so you can CHANGE THE WAY YOU WORK!
Mindset - Establish an Active Working Mindset
Commit to Bruin PAWS
- Movement throughout the day will decrease your pain and increase your overall fitness.
- Time blocking will improve efficiency and productivity due to increased focus. Free time blocking templates here.
- What is active working?
Calendaring - Prepare Your Schedule
- Find a daily planner (Outlook or google calendar, paper planner/calendar, a pad of paper, etc.) and a timer (Pomodoro app, phone alarm, etc.) that work for you
- Start thinking about your schedule and how you can balance uninterrupted work periods with movement or mindset breaks, similar to the Pomodoro Technique
Workstation - Set Up Your Space
- Set up your workstation for optimal posture. Visit UCLA Ergonomics for proper workstation set up and more.
- Configure your workspace to increase daily movement!
- Create a sitting and standing workstation if possible.
- Move frequently used items like your phone out of reach so that you have to get up to access them.
- Get a reusable water bottle and drink adequate water so that you will naturally get up to go.
Gather Your Equipment
- Ensure your space, indoor or outdoor, has adequate airflow, a comfortable temperature, and good air quality.
- Ensure you have proper footwear for your exercise surface to avoid slips and sticks.
- Establish an emergency plan.
- At a minimum, the space of a yoga or stretching mat is sufficient for most exercises. Consider height as well.
- Ensure you have a firm, flat and uniform surface on which to move.
- Elastic options - Loops, Tubes, Door Straps, Bands, Super Bands
- Weighted Loads - Dumbbells, Adjustable dumbbells, Kettlebells, Barbells
- Mobility Tools - Stretching strap, Yoga Block, Foam Roller, Massage Ball
Creating an Active Workspace
Kitchen/Refrigerator - Prepare For Healthy Fuel Breaks
- Makeover your pantry and refrigerator (Visit the Fuel page)
- Learn how to meal-prep so healthy meals and snacks are available to grab and go (Visit the Fuel page)
- Create a healthy food environment in your communal kitchen and follow proper etiquette.